Wednesday 20 June 2012

A story : Bag of worries


Let this blog find you honoring the script you wrote in your life, watching it unfolding and learning from each event.

Here is an ancient Sufi story I read in an OSHO book! You may find this interesting & inspiring.

--------------
Bag of worries…

A man was very much burdened by his suffering. He used to pray every day to GOD, “Why me? Everybody seems to be so happy, why am only I in such suffering?” One day, out of great desperation, he prayed to God, “You can give me anybody else’s suffering and I am ready to accept it. But take mine, I cannot bear it anymore.”

That night he had a beautiful dream – beautiful and very revealing. He had a dream that God appeared in the sky and he said to everybody, “Bring all your sufferings into the temple.” Everybody was tired of his suffering; in fact, everybody has prayed sometime or other, “I am ready to accept anybody else’s suffering, but take mine away; this is too much, it is unbearable.”

So everybody gathered his own sufferings into bags, and they reached the temple, and they were all looking very happy. The day has come, their prayer has been heard! And this man also rushed to the temple.

Then God said, “Put your bags by the walls.” All the bags were put by the walls, and then God declared: “Now you can choose. Anybody can take any bag.”

And the most surprising thing was this: this man, who had been praying always, rushed to get his own bag before anybody else could choose it! And he was in for a surprise, because everybody else also rushed to his own bag, and everybody was happy to choose it again.

What was the reason? For the first time, everybody had seen others’ miseries, others’ sufferings – their bags were just as big, or even bigger!

And the second reason was that everybody had become accustomed to their own sufferings. Now to choose somebody else’s: Who knows what kind of sufferings will be inside the bag? Why bother? At least you are familiar with your own sufferings, and you become accustomed to them. And they are tolerable; for so many years you have tolerated them, why choose the unknown?

Everybody went home happy. Nothing had changed, they were bringing the same suffering back, but everybody was happy and smiling and joyous that he could get his own bag back.

In the morning the man prayed to God and said, “Thank you for the dream; I will never ask again. Whatever you have given me is good for me, must be good for me; that’s why you have given it to me.”

EMOTIONAL WELLNESS by OSHO
-------

How about relooking at your current biggest worry?

And say: “Wow I wonder! Why I wrote this situation in my life. Whatever I am supposed to learn from this, I am willing. I choose to come out shining and wiser from this.”

You may be in for a surprise – how that worry unfolds into a gift!

Warm regards,

Rohan 

Link to our workshops 

2 comments:

  1. sir,
    i am a student of subodh public school, where u have given the guest lecture on being a shining star
    i am in a problem:
    my friend is totally depressed. when i ask her the reason she says that she feels alone in her school as she is having no friend in her class
    this is the reason she don't want to go to school also
    nd due to this reason she scored less then her potential in her 11th
    nd i dont want that this should happen in 12 also
    plzz sir help me nd give some suggestions to help her nd to mek her feel that life is not too small there are many others who are waiting for ur smile
    she feels lonely nd some parental pressure for studies
    i want to bring her back in star mode
    i hope u will help me
    thank you sir,
    with regards,
    ayush jain

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rohan, thanks for the story, I have been searching for this.

    ReplyDelete