- I made a bad choice v/s
- I am a bad person
- Fitting in v/s belonging as defined by children
- A declaration/ manifesto to be wholehearted parents.
- Belonging is being somewhere where you want to be, and they want you.
- Fitting in is being somewhere where you really want to be, but they don’t care one way or the other.
- Belonging is being accepted for you. Fitting in is being accepted for being like everyone else.
- I get to be me if I belong. I have to be like you to fit in. They nailed the definitions.
- Not living up to your parents’ expectations
- Not being as cool or popular as your parents want you to be
- Not being as smart as your parents
- Not being good at the same things your parents were good at
- Your parents being embarrassed because you don’t have enough friends or you’re not an athlete or a cheerleader
- Your parents not liking who you are and what you like to do
- When your parents don’t pay attention
THE WHOLEHEARTED PARENTING MANIFESTO